Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Long Time Away--It's Good to Be Back

Well, friends (I say this because I think anyone who reads this is either my friend, my family member, or my colleague--some are all three. I love you, Heather!):

I have been ignoring this place for far too long.

Summer 2010 is one of those times I know will be looked back on as blessed and rich. Oh, it's been pretty complicated, too, at times, but really it has been beautiful.

At home--swimming pools and adventures! I will never forget the first day the 4 of us went down to Winton Woods to the creek along Miles Rd. and walked in the water. The crawfish!! The cool and clear water. Then we came back later that week after the rainstorm and watched what was serene and peaceful become flooded and dangerous. But still beautiful.

Camp! A trip to Warren. The building of new schools and the demolition of old ones. All part of the mosaic.

This morning I read a blog post from a friend and a seminary colleague, who along with his wife (who also was in seminary with Heather and me) is planting a church up in Delaware, OH, about how life is full of changes and that we have to fall in love all over again (and often) with our spouses and with God. Thanks, Roger, for that. This summer has given that reminder to me, too. I remember vividly the hot July afternoon in Columbus when Heather and I were married. Some details remain with laughter (my brother sticking green slime in his pants pocket at the rehearsal; getting from the hotel to the Schimmels for the reception, me in a t-shirt and jeans and Heather still in her wedding dress, like a scene from a movie). Some details were only revealed later (let's just say life had already changed, we just didn't know it yet).

And now, 17 years and change later, I love my life. I treasure and adore Heather more than ever, and thank God for her every day. Our girls are amazing--smart and courageous, loving and beautiful and completely unique. Looking at our girls (who are now 16 and 10), I am reminded of summers of my childhood and think about what they will recall when they are 40-something. Salisbury Beach, MA and Seabrook, NH. Brown's for seafood in a yellow shack and picnic benches with lobsters and steamer clams in tanks next to the kitchen. Dairy Queen. Card games and fried dough. Grilling chicken on little hibachis in the pouring rain while my mother held the umbrella. Listening to the ocean outside the window waking up in the morning. Even the gnats and green flies and jellyfish and horseshoe crabs.

All of which is to say--remember all the things, all the people, all the experiences, all the richness that is your life, because our memories drive us into our future. All the time, God is working to make us the people God made us to be. Appreciate the journey and thank God for all of it.

Peace and blessings to all, in Christ,
Michael

No comments:

Post a Comment